The Potomac Valley Chapter ARS is one of three chapters of
the American Rhododendron Society
located in District IX, or the Middle Atlantic region of the United States. Our
Potomac Valley Chapter meetings are usually held at the Potomac Community Center
in Potomac, MD,
on Sunday afternoons,
although we do hold occasional meetings on Saturdays. We also meet at other locations in nearby Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, DC, from time to time. Guests are always welcome at our regular meetings.
We had a very successful joint convention between the American Rhododendron Society and the German Rhododendron Society in Bremen, Germany, in May of 2018. There were exciting garden tours and speakers from around the workd. Pre and post convention tours were available to the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland, too. Look for aricles in current and future newsletters about the convention.
The ARS now has an online store and every purchase made to many popular vendors will provide a small commission to the society if you link to it from the ARS Store website. Please check
out the store and support our participating vendors:
Our standard chapter activities include meetings on a variety of topics, garden tours, field trips, auctions of rare plants, banquets,
picnics, plant sales, group orders, a local seed exchange, a photography contest, and more.
We also publish an informative newsletter
with four to five issues per year. Hard copy versions in black and white are sent to members by regular mail but we also send a color version by email that has many extra pictures. Check out our newsletter postings online which date back to 2001. They contain interesting information on rhododendrons and insight into past activities:
Potomac Valley Chapter ARS Newsletters
As a member of the Potomac Valley Chapter ARS you
will automatically become a full member of the
Society. This entitles you to a year's subsription to its outstanding quarterly Journal, filled
with information and many color pictures. You will also be invited to attend national conventions or
regional conferences, and participate in the National Seed Exchange.
Membership in our chapter not only provides
a source for rare and unusual plants not generally available, but also
access to expert advice from some very knowledgeable horticulturists. Most of
us raise many different kinds of plants in addition to rhododendrons and
azaleas. We also welcome Associate Members from other ARS chapters.
Come join us!
Some Upcoming Events:
- Chapter Meeting - July 14, 2018: Leaf Castings by Rachel Yungman, Potomac Community Center
- Chapter Picnic - September 23, 2018: Seneca Creek State Park
- ARS Regional Meeting - October 19-20, 2018: Chattanooga, TN
- PVC Fall Banquet - October 27, 2018: Normandie Farm Restaurant, Tony Dove speaker
Some Past Events this year:
- North Carlolina Nursery Field Trip - March 2-3, 2018: Trip to Camellia Forest, Big Bloomers, and Plant Delights Nurseries in North Carolina
- Chapter Meeting - March 25, 2018: Sonny Coble speaks on the Reiley Ridge Rhododendrons
- Pennsylvania Nursery Field Trip - April 12, 2018: Trips to Nurseries in Pennsylvania to buy more plants
- Chapter Garden Tour - May 5, 2018: Three Private Gardens in Maryland
- International Rhododendron Conference in Germany - May 21-26, 2018: Joint Convention of the American and German Rhododendron Societies in Bremen, Germany